Remaining Fantasy XIV has seen a little bit of a surge currently on the again of a weak providing from competing MMO, World of Warcraft. That is not completely honest to state, nevertheless. FFXIV did not precisely do something totally different that it hasn’t already been doing for years, however increasingly more gamers are desirous to attempt it for the primary time, in search of greener pastures.
FFXIV is a massively multiplayer on-line RPG set throughout quite a lot of persistent world servers. The sport has a beneficiant free trial providing, however usually prices round $6 per thirty days to assist pay for the prices of its servers. Not everyone fancies paying for a subscription-based MMO, however I discover the fixed refresh of content material, cloud-based servers, and high-quality ongoing improvement to be greater than well worth the asking value.
FFXIV borrows from the varied Remaining Fantasy video games over the ages, and even options content material from different video games resembling Monster Hunter and NieR:Automata. You will do battle with legendary dragons resembling Bahamut, consort with iconic figures like Shiva and Cid, and dive into a fancy political intrigue spanning nations. The story might be one of the best a part of FFXIV (for me, to date), which is delivered by way of an abundance of in-game cutscenes, full with choreographed scenes and frequent voice appearing. Nevertheless, attending to the actual meat of FFXIV may be an unbelievable uphill slog for newcomers, particularly these used to different kinds of video games (and even different MMOs).
As a beginner “sprout” myself, listed below are among the suggestions and methods I want I knew once I initially went into the sport.
Journey to Eorzea
(opens in new tab)
Remaining Fantasy MMO
Remaining Fantasy XIV is a number one MMO set on the planet of Eorzea. Full of creatures and characters from Remaining Fantasy legend, FFXIV has taken a spot on the prime of the MMO pack in recent times, owing to high-quality story supply and spectacular fight and raids.
FFXIV: Selecting a category
Remaining Fantasy XIV differs from another MMOs on the market by letting you prepare a number of character courses without delay. In FFXIV, courses are often called jobs,” impressed by basic Remaining Fantasy video games, and are available in quite a lot of roles and playstyles.
Some jobs begin as a primary model, and thru story development graduate into extra superior jobs. For instance, to play because the basic Dragoon or Black Mage jobs of different Remaining Fantasy video games, you will need to begin as a Lancer or a Thaumaturge respectively.
In contrast to earlier MMO Remaining Fantasy XI, your selected race is only beauty in FFXIV, and has no bearing in your capabilities in battle. Some jobs are additionally restricted to sure expansions, and may solely be unlocked after progressing by way of the story to that time.
We’ve a full information on each job in FFXIV right here, however here is an summary of the primary roles you possibly can undertake in FFXIV.
Tanking courses are basic MMO staples. In the event you decide a tank, you are a defender and lead the teams by holding the monster’s consideration firmly on you. By producing excessive “enmity,” you make sure that enemies goal you first, moderately than the much less defensive injury dealing and therapeutic courses, who cannot actually take many hits (if any) from bigger enemies. Tanks additionally deal reasonably good injury too, contributing to the general injury output of the group.
- Marauder/Warrior: Beginning because the Marauder, the Warrior class is the quintessential MMO staple. Rocking a two-handed axe, you will cost into battle first whereas defending your allies with highly effective assaults.
- Guardian/Paladin: Wielding a sword and defend, the Paladin is a extra magical variant of the Warrior, utilizing holy magic to reinforce your energy and prowess.
- Darkish Knight: The other of a Paladin, a Darkish Knight labors for justice utilizing their inside torment as a weapon. Darkish magic coupled with the power to steal well being from enemies retains you alive in opposition to threats that may vanquish others.
- Gunbreaker: One of many newer courses, the Gunbreaker is impressed by Squall of Remaining Fantasy VII. Utilizing a singular gunblade, fast technical assaults make fast work of enemies.
Healers are chargeable for holding the group alive. Numerous kinds of injury can hit your social gathering in fight, starting from unavoidable passive space of impact (AoE) injury to direct hits that may rip chunks out of your tank’s well being pool. Managing your mana factors (MP) and gauging which heals to make use of how and when is the hallmark of an excellent healer, and the courses of FFXIV provide an excellent selection for getting caught in.
- Conjurer/White Mage: The other of the extra damaging Black Mage, the White Mage is a holy-oriented caster that makes use of quite a lot of spells to restore wounds and defend the social gathering from injury.
- Arcanist/Scholar: Students are studious healers who use their data of the arcane to mitigate hurt. Wielding an apocryphal e book of data, the Scholar is a formidable defender that may additionally summon faerie sprites to assist allies.
- Astrologian: Astrologians are a more moderen therapeutic class that makes use of their data of the celebrities and zodiac to conjure mystical therapeutic spells.
Harm Sellers (DPS)
DPS (damage-per-second) courses are the spear of the group, dealing massive quantities of harm to a monster’s well being pool. They are not very defensive, although, that means that their position is to keep away from as a lot injury as doable to maximise their very own injury output. Though, like all jobs in FFXIV, they do get some emergency defensive spells on longer cooldown timers.
- Thaumaturge/Black Mage: Black Mages are the long-lasting wizards of the Remaining Fantasy world, wielding spells like Fireplace, Blizzard, and Thunder to dish out large quantities of harm from vary. They’re usually squishy, although, and fast to die when focused. They’re additionally liable to shedding DPS if compelled to maneuver round.
- Machinist: Among the many newer courses, the Machinist is a technician that makes use of a gun and different ranged mechanical instruments to deal injury.
- Lancer/Dragoon: The Dragoon is a risk-taking injury seller who wields a lance and the facility of the dragons themselves. The Dragoon is an agile injury seller for many who prefer to stand up shut and private.
- Rogue/Ninja: The Ninja is one other close-range injury seller who makes use of twin daggers and ninjutsu magic to dispatch foes.
- Samurai: The Samurai is a complicated injury seller who makes use of a big two-handed katana and blade combos, dishing massive quantities of harm with easy type as well.
- Pink Mage: The Pink Mage is one other Remaining Fantasy staple that mixes close-range sword combating with long-range spell-slinging, making a hybridized playstyle that mixes elements of melee, white magic, and black magic.
- Archer/Bard: Utilizing songs to encourage social gathering members, the Bard is an archer class that fights from vary. A singular tune gauge grants potent buffs to your social gathering, aiding each stage of fight.
- Arcanist/Summoner: The summoner is a singular pet-oriented vary class that calls upon highly effective elemental creatures to assist them in battle.
- Blue Mage: The Blue Mage is a solo-oriented job that may’t take part in common occasions or dungeons. As an alternative, the Blue Mage has its personal storyline and distinctive problem modes, which provide first rate rewards. Blue Mage largely revolves round its distinctive spell-acquisition system, which has gamers searching down mobs all through the sport to steal talents from. That is in some methods side-content for many who wish to attempt one thing totally different.
FFXIV: Configuring your HUD
Remaining Fantasy XIV and MMOs basically are infamous for his or her advanced consumer interface (also referred to as UI or HUD). MMORPGs function numerous intersecting and overlapping methods, making them fairly daunting for newcomers. Whereas the UI may be daunting at first, it does not take too lengthy to study, and comes with a ton of customizability to your personal distinctive playstyle.
You’ll be able to customise the UI in FFXIV by hitting ESC, and choosing “Customise HUD,” this offers you a brand new mode that permits you to transfer round UI components, resize them to your liking, together with the power to cover them fully. Listed here are some tips about the best way to customise your HUD.
- Basic UI components: Most issues just like the map, your hit factors, and so forth in all probability do not have to be moved round until you are superior and wish to attempt one thing new. You’ll be able to, nevertheless, change their dimension by choosing a component, then hitting the cogwheel icon and altering its scale.
- Chat logs: The chat log within the backside left reveals all of the messages from numerous gamers and system options. It will possibly get extraordinarily busy, although, particularly for those who be part of a Free Firm (just like a guild or a clan, with associates). What I do is add a second log for “social” messages, individually from the opposite one. To do that, hit the + image subsequent to the chat field on the backside. Then, you possibly can hit the cogwheel icon to configure filters for every tab. I filter out the whole lot besides tells, free firm chat, social gathering and raid chat, and linkshell chatter within the prime field, and go away the whole lot else occurring as standard within the backside one.
- Sizzling bars: These are your important skill bars, usually throughout the underside of your UI. You’ll be able to assign keybinds to your liking by way of the ESC menu. I usually use WASD for motion (utilizing the correct mouse button to show my character). I then assign 1, 2, 3, 4, Q, E, R, F, and mixtures of left Shift and left Ctrl as modifiers on these buttons so as to add extra spells. You get two hotbars by default, however I arrange a 3rd hotbar to the aspect for issues like potions and random further talents. By the tip of the sport, you could discover you want three skill hotbars too, because of the massive quantity of spells some job roles get.
FFXIV: Leveling movement: quests to take, and quests to skip
Remaining Fantasy XIV options comparatively linear development, at the very least to start with. It is a closely story-based MMORPG with a single-threaded important story quest (also referred to as the MSQ), which is required play for unlocking dungeons, raids, jobs, and different content material. The MSQ needs to be your main focus as you play. The primary story quest is symbolized with a fiery exclamation mark, and can be depicted within the prime left nook of your display always. There are a selection of quest varieties, although. This is a fast explainer.
The best option to discover the place the search goal is to open your journal (J key by default), choose a quest, then hit the map. Clicking on the map and teleporting to the closest aetherite (a blue crystal image) will assist you to get to the place it’s essential go the quickest, though it’s essential have bodily traveled there on foot the primary time.
- Principal state of affairs quest (MSQ): The MSQ is the actual meat of FFXIV, supplying you with story context, dungeon unlocks, boss battles, trial occasions, gear upgrades, and extra. Since FFXIV is now transferring into its fourth growth, the MSQ provides you a mountain of EXP whereas taking part in, sufficient which you could stage two and even three jobs aspect by aspect fairly comfortably with out actually touching any aspect quests. EXP beneficial properties are boosted for older content material to assist gamers stand up to hurry, though you could discover that it’s important to discover further dungeon runs or aspect quests whereas leveling into the newest growth.
- Job quests: Beneath the MSQ banner on the highest left, you may additionally see a smaller quest beneath it. This means that you’ve a brand new job story quest accessible. Job quests unlock new talents, reward job-styled gear, and extra. Typically, a brand new job quest is unlocked each few ranges, and the sport will notify you when a brand new one has change into accessible.
- Aspect quests with unlocks: While you see a quest marker with a blue shade and a + image inside it, that denotes some type of unlockable content material. This is usually a new job to unlock, a brand new gameplay function like materia, crafting, or aether currents for studying flight. It could unlock a brand new dungeon or a raid, and numerous different issues. Typically, for those who see a blue quest marker with a + image, it is price testing.
- Common aspect quests: Customary gold quest markers are aspect quests. The overwhelming majority of those are skippable, since they do not reward good EXP, and usually do not have fascinating rewards. Some provide dances, emotes, and different “enjoyable” issues right here and there. Nevertheless, apart from lore, the overwhelming majority aren’t price doing until you end up completely starved of EXP.
FFXIV: Dungeons, raids, and gearing up
The cornerstone of any self-respecting MMO is the dungeoneering layer. Past the primary overworld, most areas are connected to a dungeon or two, denoted as a blue cave entrance image on the map. Most of those are unlocked by way of the primary state of affairs quest, though a number of (particularly within the case of laborious modes) have to be unlocked by way of aspect quests that seem as and while you meet the factors (usually a selected stage).
You’ll be able to queue up for any dungeon you have unlocked by opening the obligation tab (U by default). This provides you the power to queue for particular dungeons and raids, teleporting you into them as soon as an appropriate social gathering has been matchmade. Moreover, there are obligation roulettes and day by day quests you possibly can undertake, rewarding tomestones that may be traded in for gear beginning at stage 50 (from an NPC in Revenant’s Toll, Mor Dhona). Group content material in FFXIV are break up between linear 4-player dungeons, 4- and 8-man boss occasions known as trials, 8-man raids, and 24+ participant raid alliances. There are a number of “raids” required for the primary story quest which do not essentially reward loot, however could provide you with tomestones for buying and selling in for gear.
Dungeons in FFXIV are pretty straightforward for probably the most half, at the very least till you begin getting deeper into laborious and excessive problem trials and modes. For newcomers, listed below are a number of suggestions:
- In the event you’re DPS, be sure you let the tank lead, and let the tank have interaction fight. Typically, you wish to assault the goal the tank is specializing in. In the event you pull enmity (agro), you will take a number of injury, and make issues tougher for the healer.
- You probably have time, it is price taking a fast look at boss techniques earlier than getting into a brand new dungeon by looking for the title of the dungeon in your favourite search engine. In the event you’re getting into higher-end content material, finding out the techniques extra in-depth turns into extra crucial.
- Most bosses telegraph their assaults with a solid bar or animation. Attempt to keep away from all space of impact assaults (AoE) by transferring as quickly as you see orange injury markers seem on the ground.
- In the event you’re tanking, it is price transferring the enemy record within the HUD to someplace extra seen, because it makes it simpler to trace when provides spawn for decide up.
- In bigger raids, some bosses put a debuff on the tank that causes them to take elevated injury. The second tank ought to use provoke on this eventualities in what’s commonly known as a “tank swap” to mitigate incoming injury, and make life simpler for the healers.
- In dungeons, do not be afraid to make use of cooldowns often. That is very true for tanks. In the event you’re keen to make use of your huge injury mitigation cooldowns often, you may make bigger pulls and assist the dungeon run go sooner. It is best to attempt to verify they’re off cooldown for the boss battles, although.
FFXIV: The long run
The following huge FFXIV growth is named Endwalker, and can serve to spherical off the primary story that revolves across the crystal Hydaelyn, a deity that bestows the participant character and their allies with the facility of Gentle. Endwalker will add new areas, new content material, new bosses, and new courses.
Endwalker provides the Sage healer job and the Reaper melee DPS job, in addition to a male Viera (bunny folks) playable race. The extent cap will increase from 80 to 90, extending the story into new zones and areas. A number of the new trials embody the summon Anima, who debuted in Remaining Fantasy X. It is going to additionally add Oceania knowledge facilities, and in addition give gamers the power to play with associates from different continents, because of broad server upgrades. Endwalker can even add a brand new “Island Sanctuary” system, which seems to be impressed by the likes of Animal Crossing, the place gamers can get pleasure from an informal solo expertise.
Remaining Fantasy XIV has fully hooked me as I sought greener pastures owing to the decline of among the finest multiplayer PC video games. The group has been extremely heat and welcoming, and even desirous to encourage and assist accommodate new gamers.
I plan to increase this information additional sooner or later, so if there are any oversights or suggestions you would like extra info on, drop your questions within the feedback, and I will be sure you reply them.